I suspect that it will be surreal when I wake up next Saturday and have nothing to write. There's a good chance I won't know what to do with myself and I'll end up writing an 11,000 word essay on why I suspect that Ron Gardenhire suffers from erectile dysfunction. »
• 7:30, ESPNU. Soccer. FIFA U-20 World Cup. Canada vs. Chile. A natural rivalry if there ever was one.
• 8:00, ESPN. MLB. Minnesota Twins @ Detroit Tigers. Scott Baker vs. Jeremy Bonderman. Eh.
• 8:00, ESPN Classic. Movie. The Color of Money. You gotta have two things to win. You gotta have brains and you gotta have… »
I spent some time watching women's golf this afternoon. This isn't something I do a lot of ... but I was rooting for Lorena Ochoa, who's got a little bit of a reputation of a ... well, a choker, in clutch situations in the majors. »
• Vince Carter will continue to be a New Jersey Net. I'm sorry, New Jersey. [ESPN]
• Meanwhile, Jason Kapono becomes a Raptor. [ESPN]
• And Joe Thornton will remain a San Jose Shark. [SI]
• And Frankie Lampard rejected a deal to become the most well-paid player in Chelsea history. [Soccernet]
• Can I e-mail you, Rich… »
There's a cute little story in the New York Times today about Angels outfielder Reggie Willits, who's raising a family in a batting cage. It's one giant room, 60 feet long and 32 feet wide, with a batting cage, kitchen, living area, beds ... and no walls between any of them. »
"TheNaturalMevs" of DiamondHoggers is rather upset with Reds catcher David Ross. Not just for his low batting average, but for his philandering ways. After the jump (and I can't tell exactly where that will be, the site just puts the jump wherever the hell it feels like these days), a story from a blogger's wife about… »
• You Did It, Fans! Last night's fan walk-out at PNC Park magically fixed the Pittsburgh Pirates, I'm happy to report ... either that, or the Nationals just happen to suck worse than the Pirates. The Buccos won 7-2, thanks to a solid performance from Tom Gorzelanny, and also to the 1,000 or so people who left their… »
12:00, NBC. Tennis. Wimbledon Coverage.
2:30, TNT. NASCAR. Nextel Cup. Lenox Industrial Tools 300.
1:00, TBS. MLB. Atlanta Braves @ Florida Marlins.
1:00, FOX. Formula One Racing. Grand Prix of France.
2:00, ESPN. Champ Car World Series Racing. Grand Prix of Mont-Tremblant.
3:00, NBC. LPGA Golf. U.S. Women's Open… »
• WNBA. Phoenix 92, Houston 75. Penny Taylor captures the world's imagination with 26 glorious points. Or, just scores 26 points.
• MLB. Cincinnati 5, St. Louis 1. And at the midpoint of their season, the Reds are just 19 games under .500.
• Arena Football. Columbus 56, Tampa Bay 55. This is as exciting as the Arena… »
The high-five being replaced with the prostate-massage ... long, long, overdue. But if this Cubs winning streaks goes much longer, I shudder to think of what's going to start happening in that dugout. Bat boys are going to have to be replaced with jizzmoppers. »
• 7:00, TBS. MLB. Atlanta Braves @ Florida Marlins. You know what? I think Billy the Marlin is cute, and I won't apologize for it.
• 7:00, ESPNU. Soccer. FIFA U-20 World Cup. Argentina vs. Czech Republic. The long-anticipated rematch of their one match back when ... I don't know, they've probably played each other… »
Tonight's Pirates vs. Nationals game at PNC Park is a sell-out ... the Bob Walk bobbleheads are just too great a temptation to ignore. But if some pissed off Pirates fans have their way, the stadium will empty out quickly. »
• Here's a draft post that will hold your attention ... all 30 first round picks, compared to various slices of fine trim. [Insomniac's Lounge]
• Smart people love Daequan Cook. [Winning the Turnover Battle]
• And here's more - a lot more - on Daequan Cook. [SporTech Matter]
• You hate to see it come to this for… »
College Football season is right around the corner. Linemen are getting in shape, quarterbacks are leaning the playbooks, Corso's getting his merkin a jheri curl ... and Arkansas RB/QB Darren McFadden is trying on his grandmother's dresses. »